Pages

Don't go down the rabbit hole!!!!

Wednesday, January 24, 2018


In Alice in Wonderland Alice falls down the rabbit hole into a crazy and honestly somewhat depressing world.  When I'm thinking about depression or getting overwhelmed or over-thinking I always think of the rabbit hole and I'll tell myself over and over  Jessica don't go down the rabbit hole... don't!" let me explain. I think of the rabbit hole as spiraling down into weirdness and depression. Into a place that isn't real but that your mind will convince you is. A place where your mind will want you to stay.  A place that you must not go.
I can tell you all of the positive points of ADHD and trust me there are a ton (see my post on how ADHD makes you a superhero) but don't misunderstand me, I have bad days too.  Days where I get overwhelmed and want to shut down. Where there is so much stimulation and noise and things going on that my brain panics. Hello, I'm a mother of four. I own my own business. I have a farm.  Things get crazy. While we with ADHD at times thrive on all of this there are times when we don't.
I guess my point is that there are going to be bad days, days where your self talk will take over, where your guilt over miniscule things (that aren't miniscule things to you) add up and overwhelm you, where you seriously just can't.  You know what?  That's OK!  It's OK to not be OK.  That being said there is a but.... BUT don't go down the rabbit hole. Don't let it make you spiral and don't let it overtake you.  As my mom would say "Don't unpack your bags and live there!"
So I want you to try this. When you feel yourself getting into this frame of mind stop whatever you are doing and take a break (sometimes this happens when we have been going going going too long), even if it's just for a minute. Sit back in your chair or get up and stretch and take a deep breath and tell yourself "I'm not going to go down the rabbit hole!"
(side note: if you are in public you might want to say this in your head... You know because even if you embrace your weirdness.. Yea.... JUST Trust me lol)
So let me recap:
1. It's OK not to be OK. Not everyday is unicorns and rainbows
(I seriously want a unicorn just saying)
2. A bad day doesn't mean a bad life
3. Don't let yourself go down the rabbit hole. You've got this!
Short... Sweet... I have to go and actually run my business no matter how much I'd rather write books for you all lol
Jess

No comments :

Post a Comment

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs